Irish gift ideas and memorials

It is often very difficult for people to express very strong painful emotions. It is not something that we are equipped for. It is said that the best expressions in literature and especially are written during traumatic periods, in times of social and political unrest. Same as with memorial poems, they are an expression of a deep hurt and intense emotion. I have always believed that reading memorial poems, is a good way of dealing with bereavement. They offer a clear structure, an outlet for our pain, and when we are in a state of bereavement, then we are not going to be thinking clearly, a way of expressing ourselves. I have selected a few memorial poems that I feel are worth looking at.

If you have any memorial poems that you feel have helped you through the bereavement process, or that have significant meaning, then I would love to add them here. Post them in to the comment Box and tag them Memorial Poems.


The grieving process can be a lonely trek up hill. A confluence of very intense emotions and confusion. Unfortunately, it is usually during this time that important decisions must be made. With all of the thoughts, arrangement plans, paperwork, and running around, it's often difficult to get everything accomplished smoothly and efficiently. To offer a bit of help, I have started to compile a selection of meaningful poems and verses that can be used in funeral services and memorials. I have arranged the poems and verses starting with those that are inspirational and continuing to those that are more spiritual and religious. Hopefully you can find something here that will work for you and take you one step closer to finding peace and comfort. You may not be religious, that's fine, just take the sentiment, the expression, the shared journey that is expressed in these memorial poems. We are all trying to understand life and death, and we'll all come to differing conclusions, if these help you get there, then that would be great

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep;

I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glint on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush;

I am the swift, uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circling flight.

I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand by my grave and weep.

I am not there; I do not sleep.

-Mary Frye




Miss Me But Let Me Go
When I come to the end of the road and the sun has
set for me, I want no rites in a gloom filled room,

why cry for a soul set free. Miss me a little - but

not too long, and not with your head bowed low.

Remember the love that we once shared, Miss me-

But let me go. For this is a journey we all must

take, and each must go alone. It's all a part of the

Master's plan, a step on the road to home. When

you are lonely and sick of heart, go to the friends

we know. Bury your sorrows in doing good deeds,

Miss me - but let me go.

- Author Unknown


The in loving memory verses, are just that exactly, in memory, that is what makes them so potent, they are written by people who are going through one of the most intense emotional periods in a person's life. Ordinary people, becoming wordsmiths, so that they can express in these memorial poems, their thoughts and feelings. The next article is about Caspian Caviar

Some of these lines may be good as a memory quote for a memory tree gift or a if you intend to plant a tree memorial for a loved one. There are also many places that will incorporate these quotes in memoriam gifts or sympathy tree gifts if you so wish. 


If you have any favourite memorial poem that you would like to share with us and our readers please leave it in a comment and we'll post it in to the post. Thanks for taking the time to read this.